Tuesday, September 20, 2005

as if hibernal

what distance could we contrive
to the fallible mists purpling
friezes, what would you and i
mean, if somehow the ridges of
yesterday grew into us, scaling
off our overturned wrists like
iced-over fountains/free from
Reading's foliage/that collage
brimming with winter, auburns
stifled sealed over pockets we
sprint down toward, if i can find
you there and we can make a blaze
the stars would notice, isn't that
the only necessary even-quiet,
fleeting, as premise, preface
to reflection?

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I love "make a blaze the stars would notice." Wish I wrote it :) It's not just the words, but the sounds that beef up the meaning of that phrase. I taught the term "image" to my students today-- this is a beautiful visual image if I've ever seen one.

This poem too feels like it's tetering on something, a tightrope, maybe, or a decision, or a destinatioon. I like it.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

destination. geeze.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Scott Glassman said...

I'm curious, what images did you use to teach them? William Carlos Williams was one of the first poets I ever fell in love with. how are you doing?

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home